Friday, July 27, 2007

Who is You?

I come from here, I come from deah, Dats all you need two no.

I......am an American FOB. What is a FOB?

Fresh off the boat (often abbreviated as F.O.B., FOB, F.O.T.B., FOTB, fobbish, freshie,boat, or fobbie) is a slang phrase applied to people of foreign nationality who have arrived in a host nation as tourists, immigrants, students, or, most commonly,[citation needed] as work permit applicants. The term is commonly applied to Eastern and Southern Pacific Asians, as well as South Asians, in the United States, Canada and Australia, as well as to Pacific Islanders in Australia and New Zealand. It was originally applied to European immigrants to America who had just stepped off of ship

The term is commonly used when immigrants from a foreign nation have not yet assimilated the host nation's culture, language, and behavior. Note that assimilation to the host nation's culture is not a certainty; there are historical examples of a foreign nation assimilating a host nation (ex. Sinicization or Romanization). FOBs tend to be identified by their fashion, social preferences, behavior toward others, and accents.

I'll be posting all kinds of goodies up here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So if I'm Tahitian am I FOB? Glad I found your blog...keep posting